SAMBA Annual Meeting Call for Abstracts
Congratulations to this year's award winners! To view previous winners, visit the SAMBA Abstract Awards Page here.
Excellence and Innovation Award Winners:
- 1st Place: Katherine Duncan, MD, Readmission Rate After Lumbar Discectomy: A Retrospective Propensity-Matched Cohort Study Comparing Inpatients and Ambulatory Settings
- 2nd Place: Airat Abimbola Agbetoba, MD, Low Dose Perineural Dexamethasone Increases Analgesia Duration in Interscalene Brachial Plexus Block Compared to IV Dexamethasone
- 3rd Place: Katherine Dobie, MD Sterile Gloves for Single Shot Peripheral Nerve Blocks - time to re-evaluate?
Resident Travel Award Winners:
- Katherine Duncan, MD, Readmission Rate After Lumbar Discectomy: A Retrospective Propensity-Matched Cohort Study Comparing Inpatients and Ambulatory Settings
- Airat Abimbola Agbetoba, MD, Low Dose Perineural Dexamethasone Increases Analgesia Duration in Interscalene Brachial Plexus Block Compared to IV Dexamethasone
- Kapil Gupta, MD, Comparison of Ultrasound Guided Paravertebral Block with Serratus Plane Block for Modified Radical Mastectomy
White Mountain Award Winners:
- 1st Place: Matthew Hallman, MD, Optimizing Administration of Postoperative Oral Opioids in Ambulatory Surgery Patients
- 2nd Place: Rayhan Ahmed Tariq, MD, A Case of Non-lethal Air Embolism During Bone Marrow Harvesting
- 3rd Place: Geoffrey Crandall, MD, Anesthetic management of a patient with mitochondrial disease and severe chronic pain for ambulatory surgery
SAMBA 33rd Annual Meeting
May 3-5, 2018
JW Marriott Marquis Miami
The Society for Ambulatory Anesthesia will open up the call for abstracts for the SAMBA 33rd Annual Meeting in early winter. Stay tuned for more submission details!
Abstracts for the SAMBA Annual Meeting may be submitted in one of two categories: (1) original research and (2) case reports (including clinical descriptions or demonstrations, preliminary observations, and “clinical pearls”). Abstracts will be graded competitively on the basis of scientific merit for poster presentation. Only original research abstract submissions are eligible to receive an Excellence and Innovation Award and Resident Travel Award. The subject matter of all submitted abstracts must be germane to the practice of anesthesia for the care of ambulatory surgery patients.
Resident Travel Awards
SAMBA encourages anesthesiology residents and fellows to become more involved in the Society by making available a limited number of $1,000 Travel Award to residents whose original research abstracts are accepted for presentation. Residents and fellows, who receive travel awards for their abstracts, remain eligible for other awards presented at the annual meeting including the White Mountain Institute Award for Research in Ambulatory Anesthesia and the Excellence and Innovation Awards. Residents must attend the SAMBA Annual Meeting in order to receive the Resident Travel Award or the White Mountain Institute Award.
White Mountain Awards
The White Mountain Awards are funded by Dr. Paul F. White and are presented to those 3 residents/fellows whose abstract submissions were scored the highest based on their oral presentations at the meeting. The awards consist of a certificate and a monetary sum as well.
Excellence and Innovation Awards
The top three scoring abstracts will be given the opportunity to present their research on Saturday, May 6, 2017, during the General Session of the Annual Meeting,and the awards will be presented based on the submitted abstract and the oral presentation. Details for both poster and oral presentation for this award will be sent to award winners after final grading. Recipients must attend the Annual Meeting in order to receive this recognition award.
All papers presented at the SAMBA Annual Meeting are eligible for presentation at subsequent meetings of the American Society of Anesthesiologists as well as to the International Anesthesia Research Society 2018 Annual Congress.
The Society has improved its online abstract submission making it easier for everyone to submit abstracts for presentation at the SAMBA Annual Meeting. Only abstracts submitted electronically through the SAMBA Web site will be considered for grading. The deadline to electronically submit abstracts is 5:00 PM CST, Thursday, February 1, 2018. There will be no exceptions.
All abstract submissions should be limited to 500 words or less (not including tables or references), and all primary and secondary authors are required to disclose any conflicts of interest that they may have through the SAMBA Online Disclosure Form.
Submitted abstracts should not been presented to a large gathering of anesthesiologists in the previous calendar year and will not be published in completed format in an indexed journal prior to the SAMBA Meeting. Large gathering of anesthesiologists include such events as the ASA Annual Meeting, IARS Annual Meeting, European Congress and the New York State Society of Anesthesiologists Postgraduate Meeting. The purpose of this directive is not to limit selective presentations to small organizations review but to avoid duplicate presentations to major meetings of Anesthesiologists
If you have any questions or concerns about the abstract process, please contact the SAMBA office at (312) 321-6872 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.